Lesson for October 24th, 2018: Group Style Analysis Paragraphs

Welcome:

I'm in the endgame of a flu, and my voice is pretty much gone today due to laryngitis, so I'll be communicating with hand gestures and text.  I've read that even whispering is bad if you have laryngitis, so I suppose I will avoid that as well.

Just a quick reminder that "The Chase" homework is due today: if on paper, it is due in my tray; if on email or Canvas it is due by midnight.

Today I'm going to have you read you sample style analysis paragraphs to the class, so please designate a member of your group to read the paragraphs.  As you listen, reflect on what is working and not working in the paragraphs.

Here's the plan:

  • Read off your style analysis paragraphs.  (Please designate a person to read it with a strong voice, hopefully stronger than mine is today). 
  • As you listen to others read the paragraphs, have a sheet of paper out so you can take some notes.
  • After we are done, I will give you free class time to work on the "Stairway To" project. I highly recommend that you complete the style analysis blog entry, as this is what we have been practicing.
For tomorrow: 
  •     Please bring your Norton Reader.  We will be reading another selection.
  •     P.S. Bring back any book that is not yours.  Some students are still missing their books. 


Feedback on your style analysis paragraphs so far:

What is working: 


  • Excellent sentence variety and use of sentence variety.  You are really able to mimic a college-level writing style. I'm eager to see you use these skills on your own. 


What isn't working: 

Overuse and misuse of the word "imagery"


  • So far I've had students write paragraphs on "metaphor", "enigma", "anaphora', and "imagery".   All this works fine.  However, be careful to use "imagery" only when the author is bringing out a mix of sight, hearing, taste and touch.  It is too easy to use "imagery" as a non-specific generalized term.  



Make sure your topic sentences give a strong argument:


  • What doesn't work: "The use of imagery paints a picture in the reader's mind and makes the writing more vivid."  
  • This is boring.  Like most boring writing, it doesn't answer all of the possible questions that come up.  Why does it paint a picture? What is the point of the picture?  Vivid in what way? What is the author trying to accomplish through this picture?  What is the author trying to get the reader to think or do? 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Style in Rhetoric, The Five Canons, Style Analysis Examples

Henry David Thoreau: "Where I Lived and What I LIved For"

Journal Entry on the Themes in The Chase/ Motto for Life